- “What if I can’t come up with any more jokes?”
- “What if I don’t have ‘it’ anymore?”
- “What if people don’t think I’m funny?”
- “What if my second book isn’t as good as my first?”
- “What if I forget how to sing/act/paint?”
- To prove to my father I’m not a loser.
- To make my ex regret leaving me.
- To keep my kids in private school.
- So I’m not embarrassed on our vacation.
- So I’ll live longer.
- To make my family proud.
- To keep my kids out of day care.
- To pay for the college of my choice.
- To keep my mom in her nursing home.
- To impress people.
Whether you’re trying to save money or lose weight or start a new business, if you want it bad enough at an emotional level, you’ll do what it takes. So spend some time digging into your own “Why.” Go beyond the obvious, and ask yourself again and again why this goal matters, not just in and of itself, but for your life. You might be surprised at the answer – and it might be just what you need to get you moving.
In the immortal words of Mary Poppins, “Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” Sugar – or its psychic equivalent – doesn’t just work for medicine; it can help improve the “taste” of any nasty, scary, or unappealing task. Why do you think there are so many TV sets in gyms? No one actually wants to think about working out while they’re doing it!
- Take a class with a good friend. Not only will you feel obligated to show up for your sessions, the time will go faster when you’re distracted by entertaining conversation.
- Listen to music or podcasts while you’re working out, cleaning out the garage, or decluttering the attic.
- Cutting back to pay off your debts? Make it a game with your family and see who can spend the least, come up with creative ways to save, or unique plans for making a little extra cash.
- If your goal is to be on time, get yourself a Mickey Mouse watch so you can keep track of the minutes in style – and smile every time you look at your watch.
- Can’t seem to get around to writing that book that you resolved to finish this year? Treat yourself to a cup of your favorite expense latte when (and only when!) you’re sitting down working.
- If making follow-up sales calls is the bane of your existence, sweeten the experience by sitting out on the back deck in the sun, or having your partner massage your back while you’re on the phone.
Mondays-Thursdays - 9-4pm EST
Fridays - 9-12pm EST